Thursday, August 8, 2013

Greenfest Day Two

After running late the day before, I set out on a mission to not miss anything that was scheduled on the second day.  The Lonestar Floathouse  hosted the days events.  So let me tell you a little secret.  Up until the week before I had never been to the floathouse.  After an invite from a friend I went up there to listen to music and have a burger...Oh my god, it was like heaven on earth.  I didn't get this dainty figure of mine from salads, let me tell you I know my way around a burger.  I have had lots of burgers in my day and this is seriously the best burger I have ever eaten.   I feel bad even saying that as I am currently sitting at Sam's Burger Joint typing this.  Trust me Sam's is a close second on my best burger list..Enough from the chubster chronicles though, back to music. 

The second day of music was all acoustic.  To start it off Nate Rodriguez and John Dempsey came out to share their brand of music.  They were relatively unknown to me but that was all about to change.  These guys brought to the table some powerhouse vocals and passion.  I did a little research on these guys the way of reverbnation and found some snippets to share with you.  From what I gathered about Nate he plays around San Marcos and Austin. John who is a native of West, TX started his set with a poignant song inspired by the recent disaster that hit his beloved town called Heroes and Angels. If I am not mistaken Heroes and Angels is on iTunes and proceeds from the sales of that song go to people affected by the West explosion. If you like what you hear from that song, please be sure to do some good and buy it. Consider it your good deed for the day.

After that round of song swapping came some familiar faces to me. Chris King, Jordan Minor, and Allan Goodman. These are three guys that I really enjoy seeing play. Chris has been doing the full band thing now for a few months. I have to encourage you to go see his full band shows. They are really cool. He is currently playing in support of his latest cd 1983. That is one great country cd. Jordan Minor is one name that I haven't brought up on here before. That is something I am kicking myself for. I have seen him acoustic at both his gigs and as part of other song swaps. He is actually playing tonight at Gruene Hall full band. I need to make it a point to go see him full band and get some videos for my youtube channel. I did find this great preview of what you can expect to see fromJordan.

 

Allan Goodman was playing bass in Adam Hood's band the night before. Allan actually has a knack for songwriting. I like his brand of songwriting. It has this playful fun element to it. Definitely makes it entertaining to see him in a song swap. If I am not mistaken he is part of the blooms which includes Matt Briggs and Zach Walther. The blooms have been holding down the after Roots and Branches Tuesday night spot at Tavern on the Gruene for a while. Another show I need to get back out and see more.
 

Following up these guys was one of my newer favorites William Clark Green and Troubadour, TX star Zane Williams. Who I am convinced Troubadour, TX doesn't give any justice to how stinking funny he is. I know his sense of humor doesn't necessarily have anything to do with music but truth be told I wasn't a fan of his at all from anything that they showed of him on the show. Either way though, Zane and Will were great in their song swap. I have to say Zane hit the nail on the head with his song Overnight Success. A song that talks about what it takes to be that overnight sensation in this music biz. For Will I have to say my highlight was when he covered Enough Rope. As you know I am a Chris Knight fan like no other so to hear Will sing it with the same emotion if not more than Chris does...Man it just hits you. At this point in the night I was able to move around a little more, so I started snapping pics.

   
 
Now for the main event came Drew Kennedy, Josh Grider, Owen Temple.  Now by this point in the night and weekend I was realizing that I am nowhere near as knowledgeable about all things music as I should be.  Thanks Galleywinter peeps for that lesson.  I was familiar with Drew and Josh and knew enough about Owen Temple and his alter ego Gary Floater but it has been a long time since I have seen all three.  I used to go see Drew all the time at Gruene Hall and Billy's when he and Rodney Hayden used to song swap together on a regular basis.  Dollar Movie Theatre and An Audio Guide to Cross Country Travel still have their place in my heart.  This night however showed me I need to catch up on his newer stuff.  Including his new single Rose of Jericho, which features Ms. Brandy Zdan on harmony Vocals.  It was also nice to see Drew let her take the stage to do an acoustic version of Morning Dove. Josh is one of those guys that I have always liked but I just never got to see enough.  Owen brought out enough Gary Floater to make the audience laugh all night long.  Gary Floater is an alter ego that Owen and I think Adam Carroll created.  The joke is that Gary is this songwriter that is known for getting himself banned from Nashville recording artists.  I managed to capture some videos from that night.  I also got to be a part of a cool moment at the end of the night.  Some Owen fans were requesting Tennessee Highway, Owen didn't include that song in his set but came over to a small group of us and played it without the mic for those few of us who weren't in a hurry to leave for the night. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment