Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bundle Up The Babies - Story of a Merch Girl

Back at the end of January The Trisha's posted on Facebook that they were looking for someone to sell merch for them at the shows on the winter tour run.  I emailed them offering my services for the New Braunfels or San Antonio show.  Really I didn't think it would happen, surely they had someone else in mind already.  Well as luck would have it, they asked me to help out this past Saturday at their Sam's Burger Joint show! 

 
I am not going to lie, I was more than excited about this show.  Like kid in an all you can eat candy store kind of way.  It's the music geek inside me, just can't help it.  In the days leading up to it, I started to get nervous.  What if they were mean?  What if they don't like me?  I had in the back of my mind the stories you hear from others when they meet musician's or people they look up to.  You know those stories how they met so and so, turns out so and so is a pompous ass.  Well Luckily the ladies were nothing like that at all.  Once all situated, each of the ladies came by one by one to introduce themselves and check on me.  Not long after being there Courtney Patton opened up the show.  If you remember my previous post about the lack of bad ass ladies on the scene, she was one of ladies that I said I had been wanting to see.  Turns our Courtney is well worth seeing.  I loved every song she played! She does have an album coming out soon, that I can't wait to get my hands on.  I found some videos on YouTube to share with the dozens of you that are reading these little ramblings of mine. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
 
 
 
With the audience ready to hear some more tunes the ladies took the stage.  In this day in age when you listen to what is made in the studio compared to what is played on stage you will hear two different versions of a band.  With The Trisha's it is not like that at all. They sounded amazing on the album with the harmonies and instrumentation.  In person I think it's possible they sounded even better.  Not an easy feat in the world of auto tune and what is normally played on the radio.  I saw the girls back when they did the High, Wide, and Handsome CD release show at Floore's Country Store and at the time was impressed with what Brandy Zdan added to the show.  Once again she blew me me away with her guitar, steel guitar and accordion playing.  The audience who was really into the show requested she sing a song.  What a voice that girl has also.  I wasn't expecting that!  It was an inspiring and wonderful evening.  The ladies surprised me with their sense of humor too. They all goof around and make some funny jokes in between these songs that are heartfelt, sometimes happy and sometimes sad.  One of my memorable moments from the night was when this guy I will name him John came up to me at the table and asked about Liz and if she was single.  Truthfully I told him I wasn't sure.  I mean really it wasn't like she and I sat around talking about boys prior to this.  This guy being the overly confident male he was bought her a beer and a with the koozie he just bought hand delivered her a little love note.  Now surely you can't expect to hand a girl a note and  her not show it to her friends. Luckily or unluckily for him it was read out loud to the audience.  He was kind of embarrassed, but he played it off pretty well. 
 
Sam's has always been one of my favorite venues.  They always get artists that are worth seeing.  I have seen so many memorable shows there.  Bob Schneider acoustic, which I think is the best show I have ever seen.  Guy Clark just recently.  Mike McClure, Chris Knight, The Departed, and Hayes Carll all come to mind as well. What I love is the people that come to Sam's are usually huge music fans as well so the audience is almost always comprised of people who actually want to listen to the music.  I can't wait for the ladies to come back again in April.  Hopefully if it all works out I will be selling the merch for them again in the big street fiesta that Sam's is hosting. 
 
Here are some pics from the evening . 
Photo credit goes to Matthew Costilla. 
 
 Left to right in the pic - Kelly Mickwee, Courtney Patton, Brandy Zdan, Savannah Welch, Me, Jamie Wilson, and Liz Foster

 
This was such great experience.  I can't wait to do it again! 
 
 
Brandy Zdan
 
Support live music wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. That is SOOO cool! I volunteered to work that show, too, and was wondering who the lucky gal (or guy) was!
    Great post =)

    http://girloffgrid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete