Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Last Call Coalition - Proof that it's not last call for Stillwater.

Stillwater, Ok has been home to many great bands we know and love here in Texas.  Cross Canadian Ragweed, Jason Boland & The Stragglers, No Justice, The Great Divide, Bob Childers, Stoney Larue.  After seeing Chad Sullins and the Last Call Coalition this weekend, you can now add them to the list above.


I was lucky enough to get invited over to the Pearsall General Store spot at the San Antonio BBQ cook off this weekend.  That is where I got to see LCC.  There are three things you can count on from Pearsall General Store. 
  1. Good Music.  They have had everyone from James Pardo, Kyle Reed, Jason Eady, Midnight River Choir, and more recently Ted Russell Kamp.  Doesn't get much better than that.
  2. Food, very good food.  I have it on good authority they make some of the best brisket you will ever eat. 
  3. Cold beer.  I don't think I need to elaborate more on that.  I am sure as Texans we all love that! 
I got to talk to John Pettit the guy who runs the show there.  He comes from the same school of thought I do on music.  That is the thought that there are two types of music out there good or bad.  You can bet if John doesn't dig what a band is doing they aren't going to play there.   

Back to Last Call Coalition.  I had heard their cd prior to this weekend and thought it had some strong points.  Full Throttle, Scratch, Only Girl, and Paris are highlights. I almost always will judge a band based off the live show. That is the true test of what band is really made of.   This was a hard charging rock show.  LCC is the second coming of Cross Canadian Ragweed.  Where Cody Canada and the gang left off when they disbanded, LCC picks right back up.  Rocking harder and supercharged in a way that hasn't been seen before.  Much like Ragweed the studio cd doesn't do justice to what you see in the live show.  It's a show heavy on guitar solos influenced by country  and classic rock music with the style all their own.   They even found a way to put a new spin on the weight. Don't get me wrong I love The Band.  Everyone does The Weight though.  It takes a lot to impress me when you close out a show with it.  These guys did it in a way that it made me forget it was a cover.  Pearsall General Store is one of the places that has seen the light of what these guys can do.  I hope we can see these guys around at some venues in San Antonio or New Braunfels soon. 





 
 


1 comment:

  1. That was an awesome show! I always hang at John's tent for the BBQ Cookoff! Chad's an awesome guy as well!

    ReplyDelete