Wednesday, June 26, 2013

New Music Tuesday - The Day After Edition

Vinyl Mando Saenz - Studebaker

This is the Vinyl release.  Studebaker has actually been out since early June.  However, for me I hadn't heard it till a few days ago.  You might not have heard of Mando Saenz before, however if you have the Stoney Larue Velvet cd - Mando was the songwriter on most of those songs.  He is also a cowriter for Bottle Into Gold, that Wade Bowen has previously recorded. Click here  to read up on Mando .  From this disk I was surprised to hear Bottle Into Gold as a faster song.  I only knew it as a ballad.  That took some getting used to...frankly I am not used to it. I prefer it as a ballad.  KNBT has been playing the track that title of the disk inspired. Pocket Change which caught my attention as soon as I heard it.  The song that I kept coming back to listen to on this was the most rock song on here called Colorado.   The guitar riffs on it got my attention.  It reminded of the departed sound. Also check out battle scar on this disk.  I kept coming back to it and the Colorado song.


Jackson Taylor - Crazy Again

Oh Jackson...I have never been a fan of his music but more a fan of his Facebook antics. This guy is more than a little out there.  I wasn't going to listen to his new cd before I wrote about it but I felt like maybe I should give it a little bit of chance.  A long time ago, I think it was in 2009 at one of the last shows I went to at Cowboys some guy handed me a twenty song cd of Jackson Taylor songs.  I gave it a listen and really didn't care for what I heard. Most of it was woman hating songs.  Just not my cup of tea.  Fast forward to now.  I listened to the new stuff and still wasn't impressed. There just wasn't anything that stood out for me.  I did like the amount of steel guitar on it...but lyrics not so much.

Brandy Zdan - Lone Hunter
Also known as the fifth Trisha, Brandy released this indie gem yesterday.  When you see Brandy she is usually playing this cool hollow body guitar.  I have always loved the sound of those guitars.  There is just something about the sound they make and you can hear that same guitar on most of these songs on Lone Hunter.  Brandy also have a really unique voice that is distinctive from the other females out there. Kind of reminds me of Patty Griffin, in that it's not a big booming singing voice but soft and on point.  Great to see her putting out her own music as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment