Thursday, May 9, 2013

Lonestar Music Awards



As I mentioned in the Texas Renegade article I also went to the Lone Star Music Awards at Texas Music Theater in San Marcos that Sunday. I never meant to be so late with writing this piece but alas things happen.  Here are the list of winners.
 
Sunday April 28th 2013 
At The Texas Music Theater
San Marcos, TX 
Congratulations to the Winners!
HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE
Robert Earl Keen

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

"Goodbye Normal Street" - Turnpike Troubadours

 ALBUM OF THE YEAR- Country

"AM Country Heaven" - Jason Eady

ALBUM OF THE YEAR - Americana/Roots Rock

"Adventus" - The Departed

ALBUM OF THE YEAR- Singer-Songwriter/Folk

"The Grifter's Hymnal" - Ray Wylie Hubbard

SONG OF THE YEAR

"Good Lord Lorrie" - Turnpike Troubadours

 LIVE ACT OF THE YEAR

Robert Earl Keen
Songwriter of the Year

Ray Wylie Hubbard
Best Vocal Performance- Male

Wade Bowen - "The Given"

BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE – FEMALE

The Trishas - "High, Wide & Handsome"

 Emerging Artist of the Year

John Fullbright
MUSICIAN OF THE YEAR

Cody Canada - The Departed

MUSIC VENUE OF THE YEAR

Gruene Hall - New Braunfels

ALBUM ARTWORK OF THE YEAR

"Adventus" - The Departed
PRODUCER OF THE YEAR

Ray Wylie Hubbard & George Reiff

FESTIVAL OF THE YEAR
MusicFest - Dickson Productions

................................

This is my kind of award show.  Forget those CMA or ACM award shows where everyone sounds terrible and needs a gimmick to get their performance noticed.  These performances had none of that.  They were each unique in  their own special way.  Many of the artists I had seen before.  As you know I am no stranger to seeing The Departed, Courtney, Jason, Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie or Dustin Welch. I just recently saw Six Market Blvd and Rob Baird. John Fullbright  was one of the names I really wanted to see.  His Solo acoustic performance with Dustin Welch was pretty cool.  I need to get his album.  I have been told on more than one occasion that I needed to see Shinyribs.  Shinyribs stole the show.  Wow! Don't get me wrong everyone brought more than their A game, but I want to go to a full show of his and dance the night away.   Next time... It was one of the best showcases of talent you could get in a single night.  With the passing of George Jones it was only fitting that winner of Country Album of the Year Jason Eady sing a George Jones song in his honor.  One of the great things about this award show is almost all the people involved in the show or performances are pretty accessible and were mingling with the crowd and fans. I look forward to next year.  I also still have the hope that one day I will get to be a presenter.  I am keeping that dream alive.  My dear friend and photographer Tonya Hill risked life and limb to get these shots for the blog.  The theater has a pretty strict policy about photos being taken.  Hopefully none of the powers that be see this and decide to ban me from the place. There was also an official after party at Cheatham Street, however we didn't attend. From what I saw on the twitter it looked like a lot of fun. With work the next day this Cinderella had to get home before my car turned into a pumpkin. Or was it an onion?  I think I got Shrek and Cinderella mixed up now...let's just end this rambling and get to the pics.  Enjoy!

 






 
I took these two above and below before I got shut down by security.
 











 



 




 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment