Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reckless, Roadside, and Arrington

Reckless, Roadside, and Arrington - what does a night like that sound like?  Lot's of fiddles, harmonies, and a good night of tunes.  Once again The Palace delivered a great show.  This really is a little gem in the heart of Seguin.  Be sure to check out their line up through out the summer.  As you can see I added a handy dandy links section.  You will not believe the amount of time it took me to figure it out.  I will add more to it as I go, but anyway as you can see the link to The Palace is there.  Also let me just say that near this theatre there are some really cute shops in Downtown Seguin to check out.  I was a little sad though cause they all closed before I got to town.  I am going to have to make a trip back for shopping. I have two loves of my life and they are shopping and music.  Only I can pick the most expensive hobbies.  Oh Well, at least they are the most fun.   Back to the task at hand. Telling you about the night below.


 


I had a group of people telling me Will Arrington was a name I needed to remember.  I always take that kind of advice with a we'll see attitude. It is this stubborn thing I do.  I went out to open mic at The Palace  recently and was pleasantly surprised.  When I first hear someone acoustic, there is always a little nervousness for me on how they will sound when you throw in other people to mix.  Especially when you don't know much about the band. There are a few things that when it comes to music I go gaga for.  They are bluesy guitar solos, fiddles, and harmonies...From the start Will and the band brought those elements on to the stage. Three part harmonies or any kind harmonies are hard to do.  You have to make sure the voices go together just right.  Otherwise you sound like cats or a pack of dogs howling. I should have known these guys would be good.  When you are allowed to play Cheatham Street you can't be mediocre.  Kent Finlay didn't build that little empire by letting just anyone play there.  Will has a cd that is set to come out soon.  Once again like many of my other posts.  I will let you know when that is out and where you can get it.  I am really looking forward to this one.  Among the others coming out this year.  If you have the chance to check out this kid it is well worth it.

 


 
 I have pretty much decided the month of March is dedicated to the Roadside Libby boys.  I say this cause I think I saw them at least once a week in that month.  It wasn't on purpose, we all just happened to be at the same places. One of the things that I took notice of during the show with Will and Reckless was how these guys have grown.  I have seen them play off and on for the last couple of years.  They always put on a good show but now I couldn't help but notice there is something different.  I am really not sure what it is or how to describe it. The talent is there.  The song choices are there.  Whatever it is though, these guys are ready to compete with the big dogs of Texas Music. That is a statement I will stand behind with whoever wants to question me or argue about it. 

 
 
When you have really good opening acts, the headliner situation can go one of two ways.  Really great or a complete let down.  I have seen many a let down situation.  With Reckless Kelly, I didn't expect their acoustic show to be as good as it was.  There is something to be said for an acoustic show, I find myself liking a more stripped down show these days.  It's rootsy, groovy, and I get to pay attention to the lyrics of the song more.  I don't get to see the Reckless guys as much as I would like to.  If you were in the audience you got to witness what I consider to be one of the best versions of 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.  That is one my favorite story telling songs.  I would even say it beats The Road Goes on Forever. At least in my world.  One song that I wasn't expecting to hear was Willy Braun's cover of Townes Van Zandt's I'll Be Here in the Morning.  It couldn't have been a better acoustic show.  Reckless Kelly is coming to County line pretty soon, that is the closest you will get to seeing what we witnessed last weekend.  May 1st to be exact.  Mr. James Pardo will opening up for them. If you are in the area come out and lend them your ears. 

It was a fun night, I am looking forward to this coming Friday. The Palace is hosting the one and only Mike McClure Band! 

Hope to see you there!




 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment